Sponsored by Zappos.
It’s almost summer! Living in Southern California practically my whole life has made me love summers. Yes it can get pretty hot, but the sunshine does good things for the soul! We have actually had a ton of rain this year so whenever it’s sunny out, I take the girls outside and we just enjoy it. We love driving to the beach, the river or swimming in our backyard. And seeing how much these two little girls love to be outside makes me appreciate it that much more. Today I wanted to share some things on my summer bucket list with you! We will have a newborn baby so it will be very interesting but I’m going to stay optimistic! And I’ll be sharing why Reef sandals from Zappos fit in perfectly with our family during the summertime!
Since my girls are little free spirits, something that is a top priority in our day to day life is convenience and comfort! They love playing in the dirt, making messes and just running around like crazies…so I have to let them live their best lives! When it comes to shoes, I always make sure they are easy to put on and are really comfortable for them to wear. Personally, I’ve always lived in flip flops. I’m a casual dresser (living in Southern California near the beach will do that to you) and wear sandals pretty much year round. I had on flip flops in our Halloween photo this year and so many of you commented on it saying how funny you thought that was. But to me it’s totally normal!
Reef has always been a go-to brand of mine because of their beachy-vibe and they are just flat out comfy. And now seeing the girls in their own little Reef’s is a pretty cute sight! All of the styles we are wearing in these photos are from Zappos. Zappos carries so many styles, you can get some for everyone in your family! I’ll link the style I’m wearing along with the girls here for you to check out. The girls are wearing a size 7/8 which still gives them some room to grow into, but the strap keeps them in place. And my flip flops are the Cushion Bounce Court which are a must during this pregnancy! My feet are definitely started to swell a little so I’m all about wearing shoes with extra support and they must slide on!! I’m wearing the white but think I need some more colors now!!
Summer Bucket List:
1. Head to the beach as much as possible. We are about a 35-45 minute drive to the beach and love going on weekdays when Andrew gets off work early. We load up the car while the girls are napping and right when they get up we head out! I’ve always loved spending time at the beach. Listening the waves and sinking your feet in the sand really brings such a sense of peace. So I’m hoping this summer we really take advantage of it!
2. Make more trips to the Zoo. We have season passes to the San Diego Zoo Safari Park and have been quite a few times this year. The girls love the animals and it’s a great way to get out for a change of scenery. I’ve had to take a little break since all the walking there can be a little much when you are this pregnant! But hoping once baby boy gets here we can make some more trips because I love how much the girls love it. Animals are their most favorite thing EVER!
3. Spend a lot of time in our pool. I want to teach the girls how to swim this summer since they adore the water. It’s also so nice to have a pool right in our backyard. We are planning to move in 1-2 years and that house may or may not have a pool so I want to really soak it up while we can! It also really wears the girls out…which means great naps!
4. Plan fun arts and crafts outside. The girls love to paint and draw and really do anything that is messy! I want to get a large roll of construction paper that I can roll over our outdoor table and let them create whatever they want. I think I’m going to make a list of some supplies that I’ll get use out of and have them ready to go. I was listening to a podcast today and one tip they had for the summer was to get all your “summer supplies” before summer starts so you are totally prepped. Let me know if you have some fun craft ideas for little ones!
5. Have more picnics. I love laying a towel outside and eating our snacks or lunch there. But I also think it would be fun to bring our food somewhere else for a change. Whether that is the park, the rose garden (where we are in these photos) or anywhere else outside, I think it would be really special. I could pack cute little lemonades for us all, sandwiches, fruit and a yummy dessert to share. Okay now I’m hungry.
6. Plan more play dates. This is a hard one for me. I’m such an introvert/homebody, so texting someone to meet up is not always on my radar. But I know how good play dates are for the both the girls AND myself. They get to socialize with other little kids and I get to have some mommy time!
7. Cook more recipes. Okay since becoming pregnant…well gosh maybe since having June and Violet…I have become the queen at premade dinners and take out! And I never thought that would be me. I always imagined myself making all the pinterest meals for parties from scratch. And here I am running to the store to grab a last minute packaged dessert! Or I’ll spend more and just buy something at a restaurant to take with us. But seriously I would like to start trying to cook more fun and creative things. Even if that’s one new meal or dessert a month, I feel like that’s a start!
8. Have more date nights with Andrew. I know our newborn will make this a little tricky. But maybe we can leave the girls at home with the grandparents and just take the baby with us some nights. Just getting out for an hour or two without the girls to eat dinner every now and then is so important. It gives Andrew and I a few moments to relax and just focus on each other for once.
9. Spend more one on one time with the girls. It can be hard giving solo attention with twins. You really feel like you can’t do anything without the other. And honestly they prefer to do things together. I think it’s a comfort thing. But Andrew and I want to make it a point to plan things with just one at a time. So he could take one out and I take the other. This way we are giving them our undivided attention. I’ve also noticed that they act differently when they are alone. I feel like sometimes they are in competition with the other, so when we take them solo, they can just be themselves. It definitely feels odd to do, but I know it’s important!
10. Savor each moment. I can’t believe our girls are practically 2 1/2 years old. It is crazy how fast time goes by. The days definitely seem long, but then all of a sudden you look at your kids and are like ummm why are you so big and why aren’t you a baby anymore? It is bittersweet because I love watching them learn new things as they get older and really grow into their own personalities, but at the same time it’s like time is just speeding by me. So this summer I hope to really soak up every moment with both them and our little baby. I know it will be a balancing act for sure, but I’ve realized that’s just life. You just have to roll with it and enjoy the ride!
I hope you all have the best summer! We are ready for all the fun summer activities but also ready to take a break and soak up this little baby who will be here oh so soon! Let me know a few things on your summer bucket list in the comments! And don’t forget to check out all the cute styles at Zappos right now. Stock up on your summer sandals from Reef and get out and enjoy the sun!